29 April 2012

Stygian Lightness?

I never particularly enjoyed the music of Styx in its heyday. A number of enjoyable pop/rock hits in the late 70's and early 80's but nothing that amounted to a personal anthem. I thus wasn't sure what to expect Saturday night when Dennis DeYoung was featured at Norfolk's Chrysler Hall reprising the Styx songbook. Even though we had plenty of notice, I was a bit disappointed that DeYoung was appearing instead of the originally booked Michael McDonald of Steely Dan and Doobie Brothers fame.

At the outset I wasn't sure if the DeYoung was trying to be camp or simply spoofing his younger, more famous self. Indeed, but for the concluding performance of Mr. Roboto, the first half of the show left me underwhelmed.

The second half picked up steam as DeYoung found his groove but as the concert went on and especially afterwards I was struck by the overall light, upbeat nature of DeYoung's music. Sure, Styx couldn't have made much money in its era by resuscitating the negative critiques of society of the previous decade. The war in Vietnam was over, and Styx was too old for punk (DeYoung is a grey-haired 65). But coupled with an orchestral tribute to the experiences of his D-Day+5 father and acknowledgements of the military presence in Norfolk, DeYoung came off as conservative as anybody from Nashville. Topping it off was his obvious appreciation for his band-mate and wife of 37 years, Suzanne

I came away a bit happier than when we went, which I think was the extent of DeYoung's goal. Can't complain about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment