20 October 2013

An Anniversary

1956

One year ago yesterday, October 19, 2012, Horace Pryor slipped from this life to to the next. You can read my post containing his obituary here.

I have thought of him often since, especially when I've seen something I know he would have appreciated such as the Grand Canyon or when I needed advice about a home repair project. His advice was sound and his mechanical skills always exceeded mine. For example, he build the case for the clock pictured below.
2011

My father's passing and absence are a source of sadness yet the promise of 1 Peter 1.3 continues to offer encouragement: "According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead."

That encouragement is nowhere better summarized than in the Heidelberg Catechism Q&A 1: "What is your only comfort in life and in death? That I am not my own but belong body and soul, in life and in death, to my faithful savior Jesus Christ."

May you find comfort in the same truth that comforted him and continues to comfort me.

No comments:

Post a Comment