25 October 2013

Another Anti-Ideologue

I've harped against ideology many times. (Check here, here, and here, for some examples in both the political and theological arenas.) Ideology is a convenient substitute for thoughtful analysis. "Damn the facts, I know what's right." Ideologues trade in opinion divorced from reason and the shriller the better.

Most folks won't care what I say but I hope there's a bit more persuasive power when the very conservative Stephen Bainbridge agrees. You can read his post here. Even though I've expressed disagreement with his understanding of the nature of corporate legal personhood (check here), I'm pleased to see that Bainbridge is among those who are not one-track traducers of what doesn't fit their mold of what reality must be. Reality is always more complicated than ideology, which is why many prefer the latter. But that hardly make it a good way to live in the complicated world that really exists.

No comments:

Post a Comment