22 November 2013

50 Years Ago

I suppose I should have anticipated the outpouring of commentary on the 50th anniversary of the assassination of John F. Kennedy but its overwhelming nature has nonetheless surprised me. In any event, it's certainly as good a time as any to recall my memories of the event.

I was in the fourth grade, Miss Boyer's class, sitting in the second row from the right facing the front of the classroom at Strafford School. I was near the front of the row, probably the second or third desk back, when there was a knock at the closed classroom door on my right. Miss Boyer stepped out but returned after only a moment to tell us the president had been shot. She then led us in prayer, which surprised me because I knew that the previous year's SCOTUS decision had prohibited teacher-led prayers in public schools.

I don't have any clear memories of the balance of the day and I don't recall when I learned that the president had died. The ceremonies surrounding Kennedy's state funeral, however, are clear.

The rest, as they say, is history, and it's hard to tell the difference between what I recall experiencing and have since learned. My memories of that day, however, are still among the clearest and most distinct of my childhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment