18 November 2013

"Bus Stop"

We went to the Regent University Theatre production of William Inge's Bus Stop, a light comedy with serious pretensions The production qualities were, as usual, superb. Acting, staging, lighting, and the set were near perfect. Nonetheless, I left thinking I was not surprised that Inge was eventually overshadowed by his more famous playwrite contemporaries like Arthur Miller and Tennessee Williams. For my taste, Bus Stop was a bit sentimental with the loves of almost every character satisfied by the end of the night in the snowbound diner. Yet the developments of most of the characters went largely unexplained or at least so it seemed to me.

Don't let my mixed review stop anyone from going. I'm sure many will find the play's uplifting ending just right and everyone should appreciate the quality of all that has gone into its production.

No comments:

Post a Comment