02 October 2014

Theology of A State?

Some time ago I posted here a piece about the implications of a "California state of mind" on theology. I compared la nouvelle théologie of the Reformed two-kingdoms sort (R2K) with the broader insights of Monica Ganas, author of the book, "Under the Influence: California's Intoxicating Spiritual and Cultural Impact on America" in which she argues that the "idea" of  "California-ism," the ability to recreate oneself free from past entanglements, whether familial, cultural, or religious, drives culture wherever one lives in America. I concluded that the former may represent a particular reaction to the extraordinary idolatry of California-ism.

Whether I overstated my case as one comment suggested, I want to direct my readers to yet another book that focuses more specifically on the effects of California on the theological endeavor (or is it the other way around?). In any event, go here to read a post by one of the editors of "Theology and California: Theological Refractions on California's Culture."

Until reading this review/advertisement, I had not known that there was such a thing as "California Studies." Silly me. Seriously, the summaries of the book chapters, written by serious folks, suggests that "Theology and California" isn't beach reading but may provide valuable insights on what undoubtedly remains America's most culturally significant state.

(For some more academic observations on R2K in historical context, read my review of David VanDrunen's book, "Natural Law and the Two Kingdoms: A Study in the Development of Reformed Social Thought" that you can download by going here.)

No comments:

Post a Comment