15 December 2015

A 1940s Weekend

Three years ago I wrote about my "Progressive Rock" guilty pleasure here. As a younger child I spent (or wasted) many a weekday afternoon watching films from the 30s and 40s on local TV. Another guilty pleasure, I suppose. Even though I didn't obsess about actors, actresses, or directors, and even though I was blissfully unaware of Hollywood gossip rags, some of the names stuck with me.

These memories from long ago came to consciousness Saturday night at the Regent University Theatre production of "The Man Who Came to Dinner." Not to be confused  with the classic "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner," the Regent play was an adaptation of the Broadway show and later Hollywood film written by Moss Hart and George Kaufman. In short, it was hilarious. Even though many of the play's inside references were lost on me, I could follow the slapstick plot and zany acting to have a laugh-out-loud evening. I'm afraid, however, that the show's run has come to an end but it must have been fun while it lasted.

Sunday afternoon found us at the Suffolk Center for Cultural Arts to see a four-person production of "It's a Wonderful Life." A play within a play, the two actors and two actresses were forced to play all the parts and do their own sound effects for a live radio performance when the rest of the cast and crew were blocked by a snowstorm. Even if you hadn't watched the film, it would have been great fun seeing these performers pull off the entire show.

All in all, great diversions from a busy weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment