09 April 2016

"I Saw the Light"

Last week we went to the opening of the Hank Williams, Sr. biopic "I Saw the Light". Based on the biography of the short-lived country music star, "I Saw the Light" did a good job for a film in its genre. In other words, it was similar to "Walk the Line," the film based on the life of Johnny Cash.

There were two principal differences between "I Saw the Light" and "Walk the Line." First, "Walk the Line" starred well-know actor Joaquin Phoenix playing the title role with the support of actress Reese Witherspoon as June Carter Cash. By contrast, "I Saw the Light" starred folks of whom I hand't heard, Tom Hiddleston and Elizabeth Olsen as Hank and Audrey Williams.

Second, Cash lived a lot longer than Williams. Williams rose to stardom when he was 23 and died only six years later from complications of consuming large quantities alcohol and drugs. Williams died before I was born but I recall hearing many of his hits over the course of my childhood. And, while I knew he died at a young age, I didn't know how young he was and how short his professional career had been.

In any event, "I Saw the Light" was an enjoyable film. Hiddleson, an Englishman, did a credible job of sounding like Hank Williams and the story, while not profound, is a contemporary morality tale.

No comments:

Post a Comment