26 September 2018

More on Thomas Cromwell



Three and a-half years ago I commented here on a Christmas gift, "Thomas Cromwell: The Untold Story of Henry VIII's Most Faithful Servant." A few days ago I read here in The Guardian of what should be the final word for many years on the life and times of one of the principal agents of reform in the Church of England. But for the King himself, no one was more responsible than Thomas Cromwell for the form of the reformation of the Church of England in the first half of the sixteenth century. And, like a number of others close to the King, Cromwell's work was requited with a beheading.

Diarmaid MacCulloch's 752-page biography of the first Cromwell, "Thomas Cromwell: A Life" is due out soon. I'm not sure when I'll get a chance to read it but I expect the effort would prove worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment