22 March 2012

Human Rights

Kelly Rosati has a nice piece here about the soon-to-be world without Downs Syndrome. Elimination of Downs Syndrome will occur not by an advanced form of treatment or even gene therapy but by killing all trisomy 21 babies in utero. Way back when, I posted here about an article I first presented at Campbell University Law School on a firm foundation for human dignity. Taking my cue from Nicholas Wolterstorff's accounting for human rights (about which I blogged many times when I was in India. Check here, here, and here for some summary conclusions) I argued that human dignity (as opposed to personal dignity) is not a function of our capabilities. No, it's something we're born with. We have dignity because we're in God's image. You can download the article by going here.

As Rosati asks, What next? As more and more correlations are established between genetic makeups and various diseases and disorders, including some whose onset may be delayed by many years (Alzheimer's, anyone?) more and more will be aborted. Thus, a market of free individuals will achieve where tyrants failed: to create a "master race." God help us.

No comments:

Post a Comment