12 February 2019

PryorPostsIndia 3.0

More than a few weeks have passed since my earlier posts here and here about my return to India as a Fulbright-Nehru Research Scholar. In the interim we have moved into a nice flat in Dwarka, about 2 km. from the campus of National Law University-Delhi. Still in early spring, I can walk to work most days.

LaDonna quickly tracked down opportunities to be of service and has checked out the Sweet Home Children's Village, which provides care for girls ages 5-18 who are orphans or who have been abandoned, and the Ashish Foundation, which provides non-residential educational services for folks with a variety of disabilities.

My work so far has been centered around four activities. With the help of a graduate assistant trained in empirical research, I have developed a questionnaire for circulation among the insolvency professionals of Delhi. The project for which I obtained my grant is to investigate the implementation of the new Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code of India. In effect since only 2017, the early days of the IBC give me a chance to see how a nation can begin a legal, professional, and administrative system of corporate restructuring virtually whole-cloth.

Second, I am looking for speaking opportunities and so far have addressed the Insolvency Professional Agency of the Institute of Cost Accountants of India. I managed to keep their interest for over an hour on the topic of an introduction to U.S. reorganization law (better known as Chapter 11). The thirty or so in attendance were an astute bunch who asked good questions.

Next, I've worked diligently with colleague Dr. Risham Garg to create a syllabus and collate materials for an elective course in Comparative Bankruptcy Law. Wednesday will be only our second session but so far all looks good.

Finally, Risham has asked that I join him as a contributor and co-editor of a "Handbook of Comparative Insolvency Law." I have been diligently plugging away on a very brief overview of U.S. bankruptcy law with an emphasis on Chapter 11.

LaDonna and I have also managed to enjoy ourselves with visiting a nearby church for worship, attending a wedding, cooking a previously-unknown vegetable, and exploring our part of Dwarka. Dwarka, in turn, is only a part of greater New Delhi. We hope to see more of the city as time progresses so stay tuned for occasional updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment